Years 5 & 6 Information
8th September 2020
Dear Parents and Carers
In Year 5/6 the children take part in a variety of sporting activities and events throughout the year; it is therefore important for their safety to ensure that they have the correct PE kit. We appreciate that it may take a few weeks to make sure your child has all of the correct kit, so if you have any issues in acquiring any item of PE kit for your child, please call your child’s class teacher.
At present, we would ask that pupils come into school wearing their PE kit, on our PE days, on Wednesdays and Fridays, in order to minimise cross contamination and belongings being brought in and out of school.
PE Kit List:
Navy/black shorts or sports leggings (not transparent cotton)
Warm jogging bottoms for the cooler months
Hair band for those with long hair and no jewellery
We have found that it is also useful to prepare the children for secondary school by ensuring the children take responsibility for having their correct kit in on the correct day, therefore this will be an expectation. Year 5/6 PE will be on Wednesdays and Fridays this year.
Many thanks and we appreciate your help with this matter.
Mrs Lavictoire Miss Squire Mrs Rana Mrs Lowrey Mrs Harding
See Home Page for link to Whole School Weekly Newsletter.
Welcome to Years 5 and 6!
The following information is specific to Years 5 and 6.
- 8.50am: school starts. We are aware that some pupils may be dropped off earlier, due to having younger siblings, so your child will be able to come into class from 8.30 and sit in the classroom.
- Communicating with class teachers:
If you need to advise us of an upcoming appointment or change of person collecting your child, please contact the school office or provide your child with a note to hand to us at morning registration.
If you have any concerns please email firstname.lastname@example.org and your child’s class teacher will email you as soon as they are able. Alternatively, you can leave a message with school office. Please be aware that due to the current situation in school, your class teacher may not be able to return your call within the school day.
- If your child would like a healthy snack for break time, please provide them with either fruit or cheese.
- Please note we are a NUT FREE school due to both child/staff allergies.
End of School Routine
- 3.25pm : class ends.
- Class teachers will lead their classes to the playground and dismiss.
- If someone other than a parent is to collect your child please let the class teacher/school office know at beginning of the day.
- If you allow your child to walk home please provide written, signed consent with a start date for this and hand to the class teacher.
You child has started their Tri-Reading Tournament in school and can now continue it at home. All pupils have a reading book in school and have either chosen to read one they already have at home or have taken one home from school in order to progress in the Tri-Reading Tournament.
Please encourage your child to read for 30minutes each night in order to get closer to the trophy award!
All information regarding this can be found on Teams.
If you are at all unsure about the Tri-Reading Tournament, please email the school and your child’s class teacher will be in touch.
- Please could we ask you to label all of your child’s clothing clearly to help them locate it when they are changing for PE.
- Misplaced items, which are not labelled, will be placed in the lost property area landing, near Years 5 and 6 classes.
- Please can pupils wear their PE kit to school on Wednesdays and Fridays (white t-shirt, blue shorts/tracksuit bottoms and trainers, for outdoor PE, in a bag).
- It is very important, from a health and safety aspect, that the children have the correct PE kit for these sessions.
- PE sessions this term will be Wednesday and Friday for all classes.
- Please can children also have clearly labelled drinks bottles.
School dinners (new price £2.30)
- The dinner menu remains the same as the summer term until half term, a copy can be found on the front of the website.
- The cost of school dinners has increased to £2.30.
Teams online portal between teacher/pupil/parent
- First, let us begin by saying a huge thank you for all of your support over the past few months with our online learning provision.
- As you are aware, last year we introduced SeeSaw across the school as a means of communication and it has been fantastic to see the wonderful work that has been completed at home. Staff members at OV have really enjoyed communicating with your child/children regarding the work set.
- To further improve our home learning and provide more opportunity for discussion, we will be implementing Microsoft Teams across the school. Microsoft Teams provides a wealth of opportunities to develop our home learning and in-school provision. This form of blended learning will be implemented gradually across the school, in place of SeeSaw.
- To access this home learning resource, please see the guidance letter which is on the school website.
Weekly communications with parents
- In our efforts to be eco-friendly, information regarding our week, diary dates and updates will be emailed to parents/carers via the Whole School Weekly News using the email address we hold on our school management system.
- If you have specifically requested paper copies of correspondence this will be provided. Please contact the school office if you wish to change your request.
- All correspondence will be posted on the school website www.ovschool.co.uk.
- Information specific for years 5 and 6 will be posted under Parent Information/Years 5 / 6.
- If you have changed your address, email address or contact details please advise the school office as soon as possible.
- Ideally we require details of at least 2 Emergency Contacts.
- Benefits for your child – did you know that if your child is registered under the Government Pupil Premium Scheme, the Government will allocate funding for Orchard Vale to use to help subsidise your child’s learning support in school, free school meals, school trips and school residentials. Please contact the school office for more information.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE FOR THE GOVERNMENT PUPIL PREMIUM FUNDING?
If you have any questions please come and speak to us. Thank you for your support with settling your child into the school routine this week.