Reception helpful information
See Home Page for link to Whole School Weekly Newsletter.
Welcome to Reception! We are so pleased with the children and how well they have settled in, especially as this is a long week and such a big change for them! They have been amazing. Thank you for your help in the mornings settling them in! The following information is specific to Reception.
- 8.30am – Teachers will open class doors.
- Each morning the children will be set an activity to complete, which you are welcome to stay and help with.
- 8.45am – The school day begins and the register will be taken.
- 8.50am – playground gates will be locked if you arrive after this please report to the School Office.
- Break time snacks – The Government supplies fruit for all children in Foundation Stage, which we have after morning break.
- Children can bring some fruit to eat during afternoon break. Please note we are a NUT FREE school due to both child/staff allergies.
End of School Routine
- 3.10pm – class ends.
- Class teachers will dismiss children once we see their parent in the playground. Please bear with us while we get to know you all.
- If someone other than a parent is to collect your child please advise the class teacher in the morning.
- Children will not be handed over unless we have your authority.
- If you need to speak with the class teacher about your child’s day or any misplaced items, please wait until all children have been dismissed and we will do our best to help you.
Tapestry online Learning journeys
- In Reception we learn mostly through play, building up our phonics and maths steadily.
- As part of our learning, we aim to involve you as parents/carers as much as we can.
- The Welcome Pack, you will have received, included information about the new Tapestry system we will be using.
- Tapestry will enable you to record observations of your child’s learning at home.
- If you have not already done so, please could you return your permission form for Tapestry access.
- We are in the process of collating permissions and will contact you in the next few weeks with information on how to access your account.
- Please keep us up to date with your child's achievements at home by adding your own observations.
Home Learning Journal - Reception Children
- The Home Learning Journal will be sent home on Friday and collected in on Thursday to change reading books.
- In your learning journey you will have a reading record, please record when your child has read at home and comment on any progress they have made.
- Once your child has read five times at home they will receive a reading certificate in class on a Friday.
- We will only issue a new reading book once the old one has been returned.
- In this book we will also give children a weekly activity which is completely optional. We like to set fun tasks that you can do together at home that build on their learning in school.
- This week we would like you to decorate the front of this book! Have fun colouring, drawing or sticking on photos to make it special.
- We also like to see your comments on their school observations.
Home school link book - Miss Cawthorne's Year 1
- This will be issued to you THIS Friday
- Please ensure your child’s Home School Link Book is in school every Thursday in order for us to change reading books. It will be returned to you on Friday.
- Please use these to communicate with the school and to let us know your child's achievements outside school and a record of their reading at home with you.
- If you have an urgent message please contact your Class Teacher directly.
- Please could we ask you to label all of your child’s clothing clearly to help them locate it when they are changing for PE.
- Misplaced items, which are not labelled, will be placed in the lost property area on the Key Stage Two landing, near Years 5 and 6 classes.
- In the autumn term we do not require the children to bring in a PE kit.
- PE sessions are on Monday and Friday.
- After Christmas we will start to encourage the children to change into a PE kit
(white t-shirt, blue shorts/tracksuit bottoms and trainers, for outdoor PE, in a bag).
- Please can children also have clearly labelled drinks bottle.
- Please could we ask you to ensure your child has a raincoat, wellies, clearly named in a carrier bag.
- Forest school sessions will be - Miss Cawthorne’s class – Tuesday Miss Boundy’s class - Thursday
- All children in Reception are eligible to receive free school dinners under the Government’s Universal Free School Meals.
- The dinner menu remains the same as the summer term until half term, a copy can be found on the front of the website.
- Please let your class teacher know at the beginning of the day if your child wishes to be provided with a school dinner.
Weekly communications with parents
- The whole school weekly newsletter, will include a section for Reception.
- We will provide advice on what we have been learning about in school that week.
- This week we have been focusing on getting to know each other and making friends.
- In our efforts to be eco-friendly, with the exception of this week, information regarding our week, diary dates and updates will be emailed to parents/carers via the Whole School Weekly News using the email address we hold on our school management system.
- If you have specifically requested paper copies of correspondence this will be provided. Please contact the school office if you wish to change your request.
- All correspondence will be posted on the school website www.ovschool.co.uk.
- Information specific for Reception will be posted under Parent Information/ Reception.
- If you have changed your address, email address or contact details please advise the school office as soon as possible.
- Ideally we require details of at least 2 Emergency Contacts.
Are you eligible for the government pupil premium funding?
- Benefits for your child – did you know that if your child is registered under the Government Pupil Premium Scheme, the Government will allocate funding for Orchard Vale to use to help subsidise your child’s learning support in school, free school meals, school trips and school residentials. Please contact the school office for more information.
Thank you again for a wonderful week and please do come and talk to any member of our team if you have any worries or concerns.
We hope you have a lovely weekend.
You Tube- Jolly Phonics Sounds and actions.
Video of all the sounds with actions.
A good selection of resources including worksheets and some interactive games. Covers-
- Phase 3 and 5 sounds
- Phase 6 work such as prefixes and suffixes, plurals and tense worksheets.
- extensive list of long vowel worksheets and games such as hangman.
A mix of very good interactive games and worksheets covering most phonic phases. Recommend Sandcastle quiz for phase 3 and 5.
A selection of interactive games for all phonic phases. Mostly simple games.
Lots of information and guidance for parents/carers