Years 3 & 4 Information
See Home Page for link to Whole School Weekly Newsletter.
8th September 2020
Dear Parents and Carers
In Year 3/4 the children take part in a variety of sporting activities and events throughout the year; it is therefore important for their safety to ensure that they have the correct PE kit. If you have any issues in acquiring any item of PE kit for your child, please call your child’s class teacher.
Our PE sessions will be on Monday and Tuesday and we will be going outside as much as possible. Children will be changing into their PE kit in class. Please could children come to school wearing their PE kit on Monday.
PE Kit List
Navy/black shorts or sports leggings (not transparent cotton)
Warm jogging bottoms for the cooler months
Hair band for those with long hair and no jewellery
What to bring to school
We have asked that children limit what they bring to school each day. They will need a coat, named drinks bottle, healthy snack, packed lunch (if required) and PE kit. We take the children outside several times a day so a coat is essential.
We ask that children do not bring in their own stationery at present. We will provide children with all the equipment and resources they need in school, placed in a pack on their table which will not to be shared by other children
Many thanks and we appreciate your help with this matter.
Miss Gulliford, Mrs Johnson, Mr Whapham
Welcome to Years 3 and 4
We have had a fabulous start to our school year and the children have settled into the new school routine wonderfully. They have all come into school with brilliant attitudes for learning, are enjoying being able to socialise within their bubbles and are extremely positive for the year ahead.
The following information is specific to Years 3 and 4.
- 8.30am – The school gates are open and teachers will open class doors. Please enter school via the playground and adhere to social distancing measures.
- 9.00am – playground gates will be locked, if you arrive after this please report to the School Office.
- This year due to Covid compliance children are to be independent and make their way to their class on their own.
- Upon arrival into the classroom children are asked to wash their hands before sitting down. They have a morning work task to complete until the register is taken at 9am. Morning work will be focused on reading, spelling, grammar and maths tasks with the teacher using this time to support learning.
- Communicating with class teachers:
If you need to advise us of an upcoming appointment or change of person collecting your child, please provide your child with a note to hand to us at morning registration or contact the school office by telephone. Please note there is limited access to the school office at this time.
Teachers are available briefly at the end of the day. However, if you would like to speak in detail please email or phone the school and we will arrange to call you back.
- Break time snacks – The Government does not supply fruit in years 3 and 4. If your child would like a healthy snack for break time please provide them with either fruit or cheese.
- Please note we are a NUT FREE school due to both child/staff allergies.
End of School Routine
- 3.20pm – class ends.
- Class Teachers will lead their classes to the playground and dismiss children once they see their parent in the playground. Please adhere to social distancing rules and collect as a single person only, waiting behind the yellow line.
- If someone other than a parent is to collect your child please let the Class Teacher know in writing at beginning of the day or contact the office in the morning.
- Children will not be handed over unless we have your authority.
- If you allow your child to walk home please provide written, signed consent with a date for this and hand to the class teacher.
- Please read with your child as often as you possibly can. This will really help them to make progress.
- Due to Covid children have been given a reading book to keep at home. Once completed this needs to be placed into the quarantine box at school for 5 days before being re-issued. Children also have their own reading book in school.
- Please could we ask you to label all of your child’s clothing clearly to help them locate it when they are changing for PE.
- Please could the children come into school wearing their PE kits on Monday and Tuesday mornings. They should wear a school jumper on top of their PE kit which is suitable for outdoor PE and a waterproof coat. Another pair of socks would be advised.
- It is very important, from a health and safety aspect, that the children have the correct PE kit for these sessions.
- PE sessions this term will be Monday and Tuesday for all classes.
- Please can children also have clearly labelled drinks bottles.
- Please could we ask you to ensure your child has a raincoat, wellies/old shoes (which you don’t mind getting muddy), clearly named and in a carrier bag. We are unable to hand out forest school overclothing at the moment so please feel free to send your child into school with old joggers/old warm clothing you do not mind getting muddy. Forest school sessions happen whatever the weather!
- Forest school sessions will be:
Mr Whapham’s class – Wednesday
Miss Gulliford’s class – Thursday
Mrs Johnson’s class – Friday.
- Please note that due to Covid we are requesting minimal personal items into school. Children are issued with their own learning packs and therefore only need their change of clothing on the set days, lunch, a snack, drink and a warm, waterproof coat.
- The children have been given a Homework sheet and Knowledge Organisers which has been uploaded onto Teams.
- Spelling test and times table test will be carried out each week on Friday.
- Please hand in your high flying reading records on a Friday only to progress towards the proud cloud.
- Children have been given a login for the online times table Rockstars to help them practice their times tables ready for their weekly test.
School dinners (new price £2.30)
- A copy of the Autumn Term lunch menu can be found on the front of the website.
- The cost of school dinners has increased to £2.30.
- Year 3 children will no longer entitled to the Government’s Universal Free School Meals. However, if your child is registered under the Income Related Free School meals they will be entitled to a free school dinner/packed lunch.
Weekly communications with parents
- The whole school weekly newsletter will include a section for Years ¾ which will provide you with information regarding our week, diary dates and updates will be emailed to parents/carers via using the email address we hold on our school management system.
- All correspondence will be posted on the school website www.ovschool.co.uk.
- Information specific for years 3 and 4 will be posted under Parent Information/Years 3 / 4.
- If you have changed your address, email address or contact details please advise the school office as soon as possible.
- Ideally we require details of at least 2 Emergency Contacts.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE FOR THE GOVERNMENT PUPIL PREMIUM FUNDING?
Benefits for your child – did you know that if your child is registered under the Government Pupil Premium Scheme, the Government will allocate funding for Orchard Vale to use to help subsidise your child’s learning support in school, free school meals, school trips and school residentials. Please contact the school office for more information or click on the link on the front of the website.
If you have any questions please come and speak to us.
Thank you for your support with settling your child into the school routine this week.