Years 3 & 4 Information
See Home Page for link to Whole School Weekly Newsletter.
Welcome to Years 3 and 4! We have had a fabulous start to our new term and the children have settled into the school routine wonderfully and enjoyed sharing their summer holiday stories with each other. The following information is specific to Years 3 and 4.
- 8.30am – Teachers will open class doors.
- 8.50am – playground gates will be locked, if you arrive after this please report to the School Office.
- This year we would like to ask parents/carers to help your child to become more independent by letting them come into the classroom and settling down in the morning on their own.
Please help to support this by saying goodbye on the playground or the bottom of the stairs.
- Each morning the children will be set an activity to complete on their own.
- Morning work will be focused on reading, spelling, grammar and maths tasks with the teacher using this time to support learning.
- Communicating with class teachers:
- If you need to advise us of an upcoming appointment or change of person collecting your child, please provide your child with a note to hand to us at morning registration.
- If you have any concerns please talk to the class teacher at the end of the day.
- Break time snacks – The Government does not supply fruit in years 3 and 4. If your child would like a healthy snack for break time please provide them with either fruit or cheese.
- Please note we are a NUT FREE school due to both child/staff allergies.
End of School Routine
- 3.15pm – class ends.
- Class Teachers will lead their classes to the playground and dismiss children once they see their parent in the playground.
- If someone other than a parent is to collect your child please let the Class Teacher know in writing at beginning of the day.
- Children will not be handed over unless we have your authority.
- If you allow your child to walk home please provide written, signed consent with a date for this and hand to the class teacher.
- Please read with your child as often as you possibly can. This will really help them to make progress.
- Could we please ask parents not to help themselves to reading books as we prefer the Class Teacher/Teaching Assistants to make an appropriate selection and to monitor the children’s progress.
- We will only issue a new reading book once the old one has been returned.
- Please could we ask you to label all of your child’s clothing clearly to help them locate it when they are changing for PE.
- Misplaced items, which are not labelled, will be placed in the lost property area on the Key Stage Two landing, near Years 5 and 6 classes.
- It would be very helpful if children could bring their PE kit on a Monday morning and take it home again on Friday for washing.
(white t-shirt, blue shorts/tracksuit bottoms and trainers, for outdoor PE, in a bag)
- It is very important, from a health and safety aspect, that the children have the correct PE kit for these sessions.
- PE sessions this term will be Monday and Tuesday for all classes.
- Please can children also have clearly labelled drinks bottles.
- Please could we ask you to ensure your child has a raincoat, wellies/old shoes (which you don’t mind getting muddy), clearly named and in a carrier bag.
- Forest school sessions will be:
Mr Whapham’s class – Wednesday / Miss Gulliford’s class – Thursday / Mrs Johnson’s class – Friday.
- The children have been given a Homework sheet and Knowledge Organisers.
- Spelling test and times table test will be carried out each week on Friday.
- It is important that your child hands in the homework book on Friday morning for marking and tests.
- Children have been given a login for the online times table Rockstars to help them practice their times tables ready for their weekly test.
School dinners (new price £2.30)
- The dinner menu remains the same as the summer term until half term, a copy can be found on the front of the website.
- The cost of school dinners has increased to £2.30.
- Children in Year 3 are no longer entitled to the Government’s Universal Free School Meals.
Weekly communications with parents
- The whole school weekly newsletter will include a section for Years ¾ which will provide you with information of work we have completed that week.
- In our efforts to be eco-friendly, with the exception of this week, information regarding our week, diary dates and updates will be emailed to parents/carers via the Whole School Weekly News using the email address we hold on our school management system.
- If you have specifically requested paper copies of correspondence this will be provided. Please contact the school office if you wish to change your request.
- All correspondence will be posted on the school website www.ovschool.co.uk.
- Information specific for years 3 and 4 will be posted under Parent Information/Years 3 / 4.
- If you have changed your address, email address or contact details please advise the school office as soon as possible.
- Ideally we require details of at least 2 Emergency Contacts.
- Benefits for your child – did you know that if your child is registered under the Government Pupil Premium Scheme, the Government will allocate funding for Orchard Vale to use to help subsidise your child’s learning support in school, free school meals, school trips and school residentials. Please contact the school office for more information.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE FOR THE GOVERNMENT PUPIL PREMIUM FUNDING?
If you have any questions please come and speak to us. Thank you for your support with settling your child into the school routine this week.